Monday 11 February 2013

Turkey Oak (1st of 3: Tree&Leaves series, A5)

February is short, but the winter and the spring are squeezed in this month.  I feel the sunlight is becoming brighter and longer, with which I am delighted.  Although the air is still cold, the spring is stretching its arms and legs, and its new feather (my image of the spring has feathery) are growing in the damp air.  Here is Wales, which is why it rains a lot in the winter and the spring comes early!

I've been working on the new print, but it's still on the way.  (I aimed at finishing it by the end of this month!)

These are a set of prints of a tree, Turkey Oak.


Turkey Oak Tree 2012
(Japanese vinyl relief, 1 round with 1 colours, A5)

I found it at the small lake near by my house the last winter.  The print itself is small, but in fact, the tree is quite large, perhaps 10 metre high or taller.  I liked the shape of the naked tree, of which branches were slender, rather like birch.  It was hard to recognise what kind of tree was, and didn't imagine it was a family of oak.

Then, I went to see this tree in the last early summer.  I was quite surprised when having seen its leaves.  They look definitely a family of oak tree, besides the leaves were unusually long.  Having taken some leaves home, I discovered soon in a book the tree was called "Turkey Oak".

Turkey Oak Leaves 2012
(Japanese vinyl relief, 1 rounds with 2 colours, A5)

Turkey Oak is non native tree, which was introduced in the 18 century (from my guide book) and naturalised.  I don't know if it is originated in Turkey, but it doesn't matter.  I like this tree, looking forward to seeing it with long distinctive leaves at the lake in the early summer again.

Turkey Oak 2012
(Japanese vinyl relief , 2 rounds with 2 colours, A5)




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would like to hear about my blog, art work or anything you might be interested in. Please feel free to leave a message.