Sunday 17 March 2013

Such a name for a tree! 'Bastard Service'

You can find such upside-down broom-like trees at town roadsides in the winter in my town.  At the beginning of the winter they have plenty of red berries, but they disappear as the time goes.  The berries are birds' favourite winter food, of course.  When all the berries gone, the spring must come soon!

In fact, I hadn't doubted they were rowan tree as the shape of branches in the winter (no leaves) was similar to rowan.  But I found out eventually their name, 'bastard service' in my tree guide book (as noted somewhere else before: Colins Complete Guide to British Trees, this book is brilliant to identify many spices of trees in the UK).

Bastard service is ' natural hybrid of common whitebeam and rowan', which is why I misunderstood.  When looking at their leaves, it's obvious.  Common whitebeam has cherrytree-like round leaves and rowan (mountain ash) has rough comb-like leaves like ash tree.

And yet, I'm still wondering who on earth gave them such a name....  There is service tree ('service' comes from sorbus, the Latin name)  And, the word bastard maybe not related to the straight meaning of itself, bastard, we usually think.  I looked up the Oxford English Dictionary and 'bastard wing' caught my eye.  Accordingly 'bastard wing' is a group of small quil feathers on the first digit of a bird's wing.  Ah!  It might be because of the shape of their feather-like leaves.
(from my sketch)

Anyway I like the bastard service tree with red berries (in November), any matter how they are called.

Bastard Service Tree
(Asian plywood relief, water-based ink, 3 pannels with 8 colours, 
A4, 2012)


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for your informative and entertaining post! Greetings from the Forest of Dean, not so far from you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your positive comment. The more I create art pieces, the more interested I am in the plants and wildlife :) I've been to the Forest of Dean once, there is a treasure of the wildlife!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for posting such a well written article. Tree Service Brooklyn NY is my all star source for everything tree related.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a small Bastard service tree by my work place which adds a lot of character as the leaves tend to stay on longer than compared to Whitebeam.

    Good post btw.

    www.exetertrees.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you tree freak, who every you are, your a beautiful person xxxxx love ironwood man

    ReplyDelete

I would like to hear about my blog, art work or anything you might be interested in. Please feel free to leave a message.