Sunday 15 January 2017

December Calendar 2016: Holly

I haven't updated for a while.  This is the story about the december plant of the last year.


December: Holly

Winter Feature

Ilex aquifolium
quifolialesOrder: Caryophyllales
Family: Aquifoliaceae
Genus: Ilex

habitat: sunny to shady space
distribution: widespread throughout the British Isles




Holly is the send time for my calendar series.  This holly is very common in the UK, and we can find everywhere in gardens, parks, woodland, etc.  Addition to that, I know now, these prickly leaves belong to young shrubs.

They can become quite tall tree up to around 15 metre. As they grow the leaves become not prickly, just like camellia's ones.  (Though, there are many species with not prickly leaves.)

Our holly trees had fairly amount of red berries in the autumn.  Alas, they were eaten up by birds before I needed them for decorating my Advent (Christmas) wreath.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would like to hear about my blog, art work or anything you might be interested in. Please feel free to leave a message.